Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mentholatum


As far back as my Grandpa Buckley, I can remember our family being addicted to Mentholatum...okay, maybe addicted is a harsh way to put it, but I would be willing to bet that
at this very momemt at least 4-5 out of 7 siblings, in addition to my mom, has a jar of Mentholatum in his/her possession. My jar is in the drawer of my nightstand, right beside my bed, because I have to put it on my lips and in my nose every night before I go to bed. I even take it with me on vacations so as not to interupt my nightly ritual! If I forget to pack it for a vacation, I have to buy a new jar where ever we are. It's just like putting socks on before shoes for me.
That's what makes this story of Little Ben (my sister, Liz's little boy) so amazingly cute!

I have this spot on the wall in my kitchen where the rubber door stop has fallen off. It doesn't look very nice and needs to be repaired soon...(honey?). Well, recently we've caught Little Ben touching it with his finger and then rubbing his lips. One day when Liz asked him what he was doing, he said, "I'm putting Mentholatum on my lips." I guess in his four short years of life he's picked up the family tradition to carry it on in the next generation.

No comments: